Papermoon Puppet Theatre was founded on April 2nd, 2006, by Maria Tri Sulistyani (an illustrator and writer, and former theatre actor) and now extends to Iwan Effendi (an artists who likes to tell stories).
Beginning with performing puppet-theatre for neighbourhood children, now Papermoon continues fulfills its artistic heart with experimental art which uses the medium of puppet theatre to reach a wider audience.
Not content with working in performance spaces, Papermoon chooses to expand itself into site-specific performances in markets, trains, and hopefully next time in hospitals, nursing homes and other places.
As well as performing, Papermoon also facilitates puppet-theatre workshops for all ages and hosts residencies for local and international artists.
From its beginnings until now, Papermoons goals remain the same, that is to use the art of puppet-theatre to talk about many things, to even more people.
Outside Yogya, Papermoon Puppet Theatre has also had the opportunity to perform and facilitate workshops in Raja Ampat, Papua; Padang Pajang, Sumatera; Blora; Cilacap; Sukoharjo; Malang; and either New York; Baltimore; Philadelphia; Washington DC(USA); South Korea; Malaysia and Singapore.
Papermoon Puppet Performances (selected):
- Puppet play "Terong Mas" , in the opening event of Taman Pintar Yogyakarta and "Tell the Story", in cooperation with 1001 Buku community, Yogyakarta (May 2006)
- Puppet play "Cilly, Lupi and a Treasure", road show in Klaten & Bantul, in cooperation with World Vision Indonesia (September-November 2006)
- Puppet performance "The Story of A Man Who Eat Moon", in cooperation with National Department of Education 2007, The Gate Café Yogyakarta (January 18, 2007)
- Puppet performance "Sikayasuha Creating a Human", Rumah Papermoon, in cooperation with CCF Yogyakarta (May 26, 2007)
- Puppet performance "Sikayasuha Creating a Human 2", in Taman Budaya Yogyakarta in cooperation with Kolong Tangga Museum Yogyakarta (February 3, 2008)
- Puppet performance for Adults "Man’s Flaws in Mona’s Heart". In CCF Yogyakarta (April 30, 2008)
- Puppet performance "PESTA BONEKA" collaboration with 5 artists from Indonesia, Mexico, French and Australia (April-May 2008)
- Puppet performance "Nothings Perfect, Honey.. I say sorry", in Hooyong Perfoming Arts Centre, South Korea (May, 2009)
- Puppet performance "Gifts from Korea", in Launching IVAA-Yogyakarta (June, 2009) – as director, puppeteer.
- Puppet performance "Two Shoes For Dancing", in Valentine Willie Fine Arts Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (August, 2009)
- Puppet Video "POHON KECIL", launched in October,2009, in collaborating with Ma Petite Crokette (French)
- Puppet performance "No More Waiting", in Puppet Uprising, Philadelphia, US (December 5-6th, 2009)
- Puppet performance "MAU APA- New York version", in Spaghetti Dinner-Judson Memorial Church, New York , US (December 29, 2009)
- Puppet performance "Suitcase of Life", in Puppet Blok-Dixon Place, New York, US (February 5-6th, 2009), Puppet Cabaret at St. Stephen Church, Washington DC, US
- Puppet performance "IMAGO", in Yogyakarta (Indonesia), Hanoi & Hue (Vietnam) in collaboration with Dessacorde -French (May-June 2010)
- Puppet performance "IMWATHIRIKA", in Yogyakarta – Indonesia (December2010)
Community Work (Facilitation)
- Facilitator of Art on World, puppet theatre workshops for children who became earthquake victims in Bantul and Klaten, in cooperation with World Vision (September-November 2006)
- Facilitator of Reviving Imogiri Folk Batik, puppet workshop in cooperation with Jogja Heritage Society, which is aimed to the children of batik’s artist in Imogiri Bantul (December 10, 2006)
- Facilitator of plastic bottle puppet workshops "Botol Kaget", in cooperation with National Department of Education 2007, Yogyakarta (December 18th , 2006 –January 18th , 2007)
- Facilitator of Animation workshop for children with Kuschen (Dutch) and Handi (Bandung), in cooperation with Cemeti Art House, Yogyakarta ( March 30th , 2007)
- Facilitator of puppet workshop for children in collaboration with c’koi ce cirk compagnie (France), in Sanggar Giri Gino Guno, Bantul (May 26th, 2007)
- Facilitator of workshop about logo and sign "Home Sweet Home" in collaboration with Home Sweet Home Berlin in Yogyakarta (July 4th -6th, 2007)
- Facilitator of "Story Telling with Puppet Theatre as Media" Workshop about puppet theatre for librarians, in cooperation with Coca Cola Foundation in Malang (July 17th -18th , 2007)
- Facilitator of "Listening Indonesia", puppet workshop for university students about crime in their daily life, in cooperation with Pondok Rakyat Foundation in Padang Panjang-Sumatera (October 25th – 28th, 2008)
- Facilitator of puppet theatre workshop for sea conservation educator in cooperation with Conservation International Indonesia in Raja Ampat, Papua (November 30th – December 4th 2007)
- Facilitator of "Book’s World, Puppet’s World", workshop about puppet theatre for librarians, in cooperation with Coca Cola Foundation in Blora – Central Java (February 4th- 6th, 2008), Sukoharjo-Central Java (February 11th-13th, 2008), Cilacap- Central Java (February 2008).
- Facilitator of "DREAM", puppet workshop for youth in Hanal Alternative School, South Korea (May, 2009)
- Facilitator of "Inside My Mind", puppet workshop for youth in Singapore Youth Festival, Singapore (July-August, 2010)
CURRICULLUM VITAE of Papermoon Puppet Theatre's Artistic Directors
Maria Tri Sulistyani (Ria)
(Founder, Artistic Director, Program Manager of Papermoon Puppet Theatre, Illustrator, Children book’s writer-Ria Kriwil-)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree of Communication, Social Politics Faculty, Gadjah Mada University (August 1999 - August 2005)
GRANT & FELLOWSHIPS
- Grant for "BOTOL KAGET" Program.
- Visual Art Exhibition, Workshop for Children and Puppet Performance "The Man Who Eat Moon", December 18th, 2006 – January 18th, 2007
- Sponsor: National Department of Education (Indonesia)
- Fellowship Artist Residency of Hooyong Performing Arts Centre- South Korea ( April-May 2009)
- Fellowship of Asian Cultural Council 2009-2010 in United States (November 2009- April 2010)
- Grant of "Empowering Women Artists" by Kelola and HIVOS Foundation (2010-2011)
- Artist Residency for Yfest at Esplanade Theater of The Bay, Singapore (July-August 2010)